Some Food for Thought.....

"Society is an insane asylum ran by the inmates." Erving Goffman

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Socialization and Katy Perry

So we started talking about socialization in class today.....HOW you learn about your culture and how to do the right things (and avoid the wrong ones). Many different factors come into play with your socialization process: parents, friends, teachers, even the media play a part in shaping you into the person that you are. In discussing the media and children's programming, Sesame Street came up. I have to admit, I'm a child of the Street. LOVED the show when I was a kid, and if I ever have my own children, they will be Street kids as well (no purple dinosaur for them!). Well, in launching their 40th season on the air, they leaked a few segments that would be shown and my, the uproar about the Katy Perry appearance caused Sesame Street producers to yank the segment. Is Katy sending a wrong message to 3 year old Street lovers, especially the girls, or is she just teaching them about opposites? I'll let you decide, then you can chime in with your thoughts.....

No comments:

Post a Comment